My Office

My Office
Inspiring Work Space

Friday, August 20, 2010

Inspiration (and broken rule)

What inspires you? What makes you feel like singing or dancing? Can you see that translated into a space you could live in? Do you get a feeling from a song that you want to feel when you walk in your living room? Or, does walking into your spaces make you feel inspired? Should the spaces we live and work in inspire us? Shouldn't we run from spaces that bring us down?

I'm trying to figure out how I feel about where I live! This is the first full week I've lived here and I haven't quite found my spot. One thing I love about this condo is that it is easy to clean up, after all, it's tiny. But, I LOVE our bedroom! It's very small only 10' X 12.5', but it looks and feels much larger. We have a king size bed, two night stands a triple dresser and lots of light.

Now, I didn't have anything to do with the amount of light that comes into the space, the window and door were already in place, but Perry thought I was crazy for thinking that all of the other furniture was going to go in the space and not feel cramped. I did better than that, I think it actually feels larger than it is!

How did I accomplish this? Well, I used a very calm and light color palette. Some people would look at this and say there is NO color palette. The furniture is painted black! The "rule" I broke was painting wood! I don't know about your family, but in my family, you don't paint good wooden furniture. But! I say, if it's broke, fix it! And while the furniture wasn't broken, it wasn't quite right either.

This furniture was pine, and while it was in great shape, had nice lines and was completely functional for us, I wasn't wanting the country look that it had. I was interested in making it a bit more modern, so I painted. (forgive me father!) By adding the brushed nickel knobs (my "jewelry" if you will) it appears more contemporary and has a bit of "bling".  I found brushed nickel framed mirrors and hung them over the dresser for a very contemporary look, especially compared to the mirror that went with the set.

All the fabrics are all creamy off-white. I didn't use any accent colors, no accent pillows, and minimal accessories. I think the lack of color and accessories is exactly what makes the space feel calm, but it doesn't feel sterile or boring. The sheets are luxurious, the coverlet is silk and has a wonderful pattern to it, this adds texture and richness to what would otherwise be a "flat" space.

All of the accessories are in brushed nickel or silver. This gives the room sparkle and is lighter than any other metal finish, again, lending a calmness to the room. The artwork is my own photography from vacations we've taken and framed in black frames with cream mattes keeps with the overall scheme.

Personalized Accesories
The very best thing about this room, it was done on a budget! When you move as often as we do, you can't afford to decorate elaborately and expensively. And, I am the self-named queen of budget shopping! I did this entire room for about $500.  Keep in mind I had the furniture, I just painted it. The breakdown goes something like this:

Lamps - $120
Knobs - $28
Paint - $25
Art - $26
Bedding - $200
Accessories - $20
Tray - $8 (I made it myself)
Mirrors - $90
The overall look - Priceless

My whole goal is to show you that you can have beautiful spaces without breaking the bank. The art and accessories are personal and that is what you want in your master bedroom. This room doesn't necessarily make me want to dance and sing, but it does inspire me! It is a place to relax and sleep without distraction and it inspires me to know that no matter how small the space or budget I can create something beautiful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it! Your bedroom is beautiful.