My Office

My Office
Inspiring Work Space

Monday, August 8, 2011

The Best Compliment:

I had a visit from a client yesterday. I started working with them in February and it was just going to be new floors, paint and a couple of pieces of new furniture. It turned out to be every room in the house got a makeover and almost all of the furnishings were replaced!

They ended up knocking down walls, adding built-ins in two rooms, replacing lighting, recovering furniture, making custom draperies and bedding and even refinishing the kitchen and hallway cabinets. They removed carpet from the stairs and put in wooden treads; I'm talking about a total overhaul!

Things didn't always go smoothly, we went through rounds of fabric selections only to find out that some of the key fabrics were discontinued, then back to the drawing board. We broke the budget on somethings and had to make concessions on others. It was trying on all of us , but they were living in a house where every single room was dismantled in some form or fashion! At one point there was not one room in the house that was fully functional. For weeks they had all of their furniture covered with plastic sheeting and even the kitchen had no cabinet doors or drawer fronts!

One day while I was at the house getting last minute sign-offs on fabrics and finishes, I had everything spread out on the dining room table (which we weren't replacing because it had sentimental value). He perched on the table while we were talking and the pedestal *snapped*! It was heartbreaking because I knew there was no money in the budget to replace it, and besides they WANTED to keep it! He was able to get it repaired, but can you imagine?

Somewhere along the way we became more than designer/client, we became friends. That's exactly why I wanted to do this job in the first place. I love people and I am happiest when they are excited about their homes/spaces!

The job is almost complete, the last of the furniture is going to be delivered soon (custom furniture takes so long to get here... something I never experienced being from NC) and their lives will go back to normal. The walls are all finished, the painters have finally all gone home and the dust has been cleaned out. Their beautiful draperies are all hung and the new floors are gleaming! What started out to be new floors and chairs for the living room took over their lives for over 1/2 a year.

One of the last thing he said to me at the end of our visit yesterday was that he appreciated the fact that when I suggested paint and he felt it was too dark and lightened it, I just designed around the change! Well, of course! Ultimately the client has to live in the space, so it's more important that they love and are comfortable in their home.

The sad fact is, however, that there are designers who put together a plan and expect the client to live with what they say, because they "are the professional and know better". I have to admit that there are times when I have known that something I suggested would look beautiful, and was a bit disappointed when a client has decided not to go with my suggestion. but, I'm  less disappointed when, in the end, they are happy with the outcome.

The best part of the experience for me is building the relationships and hopefully they feel the same way. When at the end of a 6-month long project, of not living in his home, but in a construction zone; and with all of the trials and frustrations that a remodel causes, comes to an end and what stands out is that his designer was flexible with paint color. I'm saying that was a successful remodel, and the best compliment I've ever been paid!

*stay tuned for photos to come!

No comments: