My Office

My Office
Inspiring Work Space

Friday, October 8, 2010

Reading...again (and another broken rule)

So, today I was reading and looking at pictures on HGTV.com  Designers Portfolio, and I realized that the rooms that welcome me the most are the ones with less color. I think I'm one color off from being "monochromatic"! Or, as my Aunt Judy would say, "booorrrriiinngg!".

my wardrobe!
Then I took a look in my closet and my entire wardrobe, and think, it's not quite monochromatic, but it is pretty boring, at least to some people! What I really like about fewer colors is that, it's easy to get dressed, everything matches and for the most part black and white can be dressy or casual. It's about being simplistic and classic and in such a simple palette, texture goes a long way.

 Now, I don't just decorate my spaces with black, white and cream, although that is all I've shown you so far I think, but I could easily do so. I've heard designers say that picking color for your space is like picking color for your clothes. The colors you feel most comfortable dressing in, you'll feel comfortable living in as well.

My living room now. Do you see my "broken rule"?!
So, I took a look around me to see if I really am boring in my new space and what I decided is that I'm not! I think it goes back to the living in small digs, and needing less visual clutter in my own space, because in my house in Vegas I have lots of color!

Well, after I checked out my space more I realized it's not color that I don't have, it's pattern. With my dark purple wall (which I've totally ignored) there is actually tremendous amount of color here, but with the solid sofa, solid colored pillows and chair, it does feel less visually stimulating.

What you might notice, if you've followed my blog for long, is that I have used the same accessories over and over. I love changing things up regularly, and since I can't rearrange furniture, I rearrange accessories. I once heard a decorator friend of mine say, "A well appointed house is one where you can take furnishings and accessories from one room to another and they work beautifully". She is sooo right! It's the same with the wardrobe, mix and match every single piece! This again goes back to a simple color palette and knowing your style.

So, what is all of this about really? Well, it's this: take a look in your closet for inspiration on your style and color palette; remember that color and pattern are not equal when thinking about how to add them to your room; and use magazines and the internet to help you find styles you like and get a feel of what you'd be comfortable in! You might just find that your space fits you like your favorite outfit!

(The "broken rule" is the height of the art over the sofa, and I have to say it is a pet peeve of mine. However, when I hung them the sofa wasn't there and I was trying to make them about a hand's width above where I thought the sofa was going to be. Because they each require two huge anchors to hold them, I decided to leave them where they were! My landlord will be glad I didn't put more holes in his walls!)

No comments: