My Office

My Office
Inspiring Work Space

Sunday, September 19, 2010

"its final resting place"

Since the last post, we have not completed all of the projects we anticipated, but we still have gotten a tremendous amount done. My dad's youngest brother and his family came to visit and were able to share in restoring a cabinet that was in the house when my dad and his brothers and sisters were growing up. This cabinet was re-purposed around 1955 to this house from the house of a relative.

When Mom and Dad started construction this time they put the cabinet in the workshop of Uncle Ray and yesterday we brought it back home. As my little cousins (my uncles younger 5 children) scraped off the loose paint, they discovered years of paints in green, red and more layers of white in between. Then my aunts and uncles who were here discussed how many different colors they remembered it being. We spent most of the afternoon, and until just after dark, scraping, priming and re-painting the cabinet to put it in the new pantry we had built this week. It is now where my Aunt Pat has declared its "final resting place"!

We aren't really using it for a new purpose, it will still store dishes and other pantry items, but even in my lifetime this cabinet has been in many locations in this house and is now in a room that was a porch just over a week ago. It will continue to fulfill the needs of the entire family as this is the gathering place for many-a family meal. I heard my little cousin Noah tell my mom yesterday that she was one of the best cooks in the entire world! She definitely needs and deserves this awesome pantry!

Everyone, right down to the smallest one, took part in the cabinet make-over and at the end of the day we took a marker and each one signed and dated the back. It was once again, like years before, a big family affair. We had lots of fun, we made lots of memories and we helped to fill this home with love! 

No comments: